DIGITAL DOCENT JOB SUMMARY
As part of the Creative Leadership Academy(PDF), Digital Docents collect and curate neighborhood oral histories and lead immersive media demonstrations and workshops throughout the community.
- Identify, collect, and curate oral histories from the local community and merge them with VR technology to create digital content for the E4 Youth Virtual Archive (E4VA).
- Teach the students how to identify a location of historical or cultural significance, how to find, interview and capture oral history content, merge it with the technology to create a VR asset for inclusion in the E4VA.
- Work to develop their creative and leadership skills.
- Use creative and technical skills in areas like immersive media production, audio/video production, visual design, journalism, photography, coding, web/application development, music composition and/or production, media production, writing, public speaking, and event planning to support E4VA.
- Attend weekly meetings with Digital Docents, Creative Mentors, and E4 Youth staﬀ to report on their content development progress, improve their leadership skills, do career mapping, and develop their personal portfolios.
- Lead VR Remix Party demos and workshops in local classrooms and at community/corporate events.
Work on E4 Hire Projects as needed.
Hours & Compensation:
Digital Docents typically work 8 hours per week and are paid $12 to $15 per hour as an employee of E4 Youth.
Participants earn stipends as they work with seasoned professionals in audio video production, journalism, immersive media development, music and technology. During the Spring of 2019, Digital Docents researched and collected oral histories related to four East Austin landmarks including the Victory Grill, the mural at 12th and Chicon, the Draylen Mason mural and Harlem Theater. Follow the links below to explore the content they created throughout this process.
Opening its doors October of 1935, The Harlem Theater of East Austin was an iconic cultural hub of the black […]Read More ›
The Victory Grill is a historical restaurant built in 1945 on East 11th Street in Austin, Texas. In the era […]Read More ›
In March of 2018, Austin residents were stunned by a string of package bombings around the city, which killed two […]Read More ›